How to Disconnect SkyDrive in Windows 8
The cloud may be all the rage among Internet users but not everyone wants to be connected to it. Windows 8 relies heavily on SkyDrive to save user settings, app data and PC customization. In fact, if you create a Microsoft Account, you’re automatically linked to the cloud from day one. If you don’t want to stay linked to the cloud in Windows 8, here’s how you can disconnect SkyDrive in Windows 8.
Disconnect SkyDrive in Windows 8
If you created a Microsoft Account when you first upgraded or installed Windows 8, you’ll want to switch it to a Local Account. This is a surefire way to ensure settings don’t get turned on that sync your information to SkyDrive.
1. Open the Charms Bar by using the “Windows Key +C” shortcut, then click on “Change PC settings.”
2. Head to “Users,” then “Your account.”
3. Click on “Switch to a local account” to start the process.
4. You’ll need to enter your Microsoft Account password, and then click “Next.”
5. Enter in a user name, password and hint and click “Next” again.
6. If all your details are correct, you’ll be asked to confirm the switch from a Microsoft Account to a Local Account by clicking “Sign out and finish.”
Windows 8 will sign you out, and now you’ll login to your Local Account with the details you created.
This will stop all forms of automatic sync to your SkyDrive Account.
Let’s tweak some other settings to truly disconnect from SkyDrive.
7. If you’re still intent on using a Microsoft Account and opted not follow the steps above, you want to head to “Sync your settings” in the PC settings app.
8. Turn all the sliders to the “Off” position.
This’ll ensure that even when using a Microsoft Account, syncing doesn’t occur. Keep in mind though that this defeats the purpose of using a Microsoft Account in Windows 8.
The final step to ensure you’re disconnected from SkyDrive in Windows 8 is to visit the Windows 8 Personal Settings page.
10. Whether your Microsoft Account is active or not, you’ll be able to login with your account details.
11. Scroll down to the bottom and click “Remove” to remove your settings from the cloud.
This will not only eliminate all the data that’s ever been saved on the cloud from your Windows 8 PC, but now that you’ve turned off sync settings and switched to a Local Account on your computer, you’re completely disconnected from SkyDrive.
There’s no reason you have to be connected to the cloud to get the most out of Windows 8. By disconnecting, you’re enjoying the same experience in Windows you had in previous versions without worrying about the cloud.